Mart
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator

Windows 10 updates - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 16, 2017 7:38 am

Don't believe all the crap you read about Windows 10 Jimmy, I, just like Mart, think it's excellent.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 16, 2017 11:09 am

Have you tended to keep up with new MS operating systems as they have been released Malcolm? I always have been an early adopter of them, out of interest rather than need.

As I tried and got used to them, I'd always read what others had to say. Quite often, opinions and comments were about how awful these new operating systems were. It made me wonder if people were writing about the same OS as I was using because they always seemed to work OK to me.

The introduction of tiles was a bit of a shock but if approached with the intent of learning to work with them instead of how to avoid them, they weren't so bad to get on with. I think the current W.10 interface with its combination of tiles, desktop and alphabetical list has become preferable to the Windows 7 type cascading menus.
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 16, 2017 8:18 pm

I think that the tiles are possibly OK if you have touch screen. My previous laptop had a touch screen and I learned to live with them

My latest laptop - A lightweight Acer S13 with an Intel Core i5 processor does not have a touch screen and I have found myself reverting to the Windows 7 interface courtesy of Stardock Start10 which is well worth the one-off $5 it costs.

Like others here, I have had every version of Windows since 3.1 and have almost always appreciated the improvement with each new version. The only exception was Vista, which was a great concept but badly executed. I was pleased to see the back of it.

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 16, 2017 8:49 pm

I abandoned Windows about several years ago (about 10 of them) and changed to Linux. I ran Ubuntu for about six years and it was superb until they started trying to Jazz things up and it became much like an illegal imitation of what I had try to escape.
I found Mint and have been very content with it since. There is a distinct absence of the constant stream of "up-dates" which seemed to be an intrinsic part of the others I had used.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 16, 2017 8:53 pm

The only OS I didn't have was Vista Alan. I stuck with XP throughout the Vista years. Our son had Vista and reckoned it was good providing the computer was up to running it smoothly. I didn't have a very highly specified computer at the time, which is probably why I skipped Vista.

Edit: I like Mint too. It's running very well on a laptop. I don't know if I'll ever switch to it entirely but the option is there if I ever get disgruntled with Windows.
Back to top Go down
ourjimmy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
ourjimmy

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 3:37 pm

Sent off for a book about windows 10 cost me £8  written by a chap named Joe Goddard-not brilliant much sooner have the £8 in my pocket.

-----------------------------------------
Windows 10 updates - Page 3 1695888395
A  Decent Sort Of Chap
Back to top Go down
Purwell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Purwell

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 4:36 pm

Cheaper and probably better to just Google for any problems. Someone has always had the same problem as you somewhere in the World.
Back to top Go down
JeanieJ

JeanieJ

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2017 8:15 am

I have had most of the different Windows but when I had a new computer several years ago, the shop keeper suggested that I did not have Vista as he had had problems with it, so I had XP.  I now have Windows 10.  It was difficult to understand at first, but I get on OK now.
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2017 11:39 am

I have watched bill gates for years and seen him interviewed many times - IMO he is just a regular guy who put his heart and soul into his dream and won and then gave his money away to help others and would not also spoil his kids either good guy - wish he was my mate!
Back to top Go down
JeanieJ

JeanieJ

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2017 3:57 pm

davo wrote:
I have watched bill gates for years and seen him interviewed many times - IMO he is just a regular guy who put his heart and soul into his dream and won and then gave his money away to help others and would not also spoil his kids either good guy - wish he was my mate!

I agree. He has done a lot for charitable causes. He has given away billions. :;smile:
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 11, 2017 6:48 am

Windows has just downloaded updates for "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709" ... it took all day to do it from 8am until 9pm last night !! angry
After three failed attempts, I was ready to give in on it.
It has yet to install and I have scheduled it for 8am today...fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
https://murgatroyds.forumotion.net
Purwell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Purwell

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 11, 2017 3:18 pm

Should not take that long surely?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 11, 2017 3:42 pm

It took forty minutes to install, cosmetic changes but nothing exciting....why do they bother ?
Back to top Go down
Purwell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Purwell

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 11, 2017 4:37 pm

They cannot help but tinker, all software engineers are the same.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 13, 2018 10:31 am

Has everyone got the update to patch the much advertised vulnerability present in processor chips? The update is labelled 'KB4056892'. To find out, go to: 'Control Panel > Programs and Features > View installed updates' (a link in the left-hand column). Its installation is said to slow computers down by as much as 30%, depending on how they are used.

The patch is installed on my computer but I haven't noticed a slowdown in anything. Has anyone else?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 13, 2018 11:26 am

Same here Mart....like you I haven't noticed any slowdown 13.01.2018 murgs dance
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windows 10 updates   Windows 10 updates - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Windows 10 updates
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next