Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

Grass Isn't Always Greener Empty
PostSubject: Grass Isn't Always Greener   Grass Isn't Always Greener EmptyTue Jul 11, 2017 2:15 pm

I like a nice lawn and when we moved into our retirement estate in 2013 the lawn was more moss than grass. I had it removed and re-laid with what was claimed to be high quality turf. During 2014 and 2015 it was lovely.

As you can see from this pic taken in June 2015

Grass Isn't Always Greener MAskAhh 

During the whole of 2016 the lawn was invaded by meadow and couch grass and I spent countless hours grubbing it out and reseeding the patches. Despite my efforts I could not keep up with the problem – even through the winter.

This spring when the grass started growing again I was faced with renewing the battle – until I finally surrendered 4 weeks ago and decided to start all over again. But this time make sure the ground was completely devoid of any weeds or rough grasses. This required required drastic action so I set about killing the lawn by a liberal application of RoundUp weed killer. The plan being to get a landscape contractor to remove the dead turf, properly prepare the ground, add a 3” layer of screened topsoil and top that with Rolawn turf which is expensive but renowned for high quality

This is the result, 3 weeks after spraying the lawn :-

Grass Isn't Always Greener VY5LiXg

[img]https://i.imgur.com/vY5LiXg.jpg[/img

However – having got some quotations for the work which is in the order of £1300 - Libby stuck an advert for artificial grass under my nose. She pointed out that whilst she doesn’t like the idea of artificial gardens  - I could devote more time to mutual pleasures rather than waste hours crawling on the lawn trying to remove undesirable invaders.

So I got some quotes for converting the lawn to artificial grass and I was rather surprised. The prices ranged from cheap and cheerful up to “Your having a laugh mate”. By that I mean from a low of £1480 for rubbish grass to a high of £4280 for what they claim to be super duper luxury.

I am now doing some research but was invited to see a lawn laid by one of the companies recently. It was impressive and looked very realistic. The residents had it done 7 months ago and remain delighted – they have two female dogs which had ruined the old lawn and look forward to this one being maintenance free. So I am sorely tempted.

Watch this space.

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Grass Isn't Always Greener   Grass Isn't Always Greener EmptyTue Jul 11, 2017 2:47 pm

Alan, you have a lovely garden and far too much money !
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Grass Isn't Always Greener   Grass Isn't Always Greener EmptyTue Jul 11, 2017 3:37 pm

Says he as he polishes his new Jag........... drum drum

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Grass Isn't Always Greener   Grass Isn't Always Greener EmptyTue Jul 11, 2017 3:59 pm

I have seen lawns done in artificial grass and they look realistic enough. I can see the attraction.

Our neighbours over the road got so fed up with trying to get decent grass to grow that they gave up and had a patio garden laid. With a number of holes for plants to grow and a few tubs, I have to say it looks really nice.

Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Grass Isn't Always Greener   Grass Isn't Always Greener EmptyTue Jul 11, 2017 5:20 pm

Good quality lawn turf is nowhere near as expensive as artificial Alan. Looks better and is so much kinder to the planet, not to mention nicer to sit on for a picnic.
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Grass Isn't Always Greener   Grass Isn't Always Greener EmptyTue Jul 11, 2017 5:45 pm

I have now seen a third artificial lawn - this one with "mower" stripes. All looked realistic but the one with stripes very tempting.

I am torn between cost and convenience. My heart says proper turf but my head says artificial because it looks nearly as good, is nice all the year round, needs very little maintenance and I can sell my battery mower with extra charger and battery, powered scarifier, fertiliser spreader plus £30 worth of weed and feed as a kit to subsidise the extra cost.

I think in typing that I have just reached a decision. hat

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grass Isn't Always Greener   Grass Isn't Always Greener Empty

Back to top Go down

Grass Isn't Always Greener
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Murgatroyd's Drop-in centre and Forum :: Popular Topics :: Public Bar and Lounge-
Jump to: