Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator

How can I.... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How can I....   How can I.... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 10, 2017 2:27 pm

Well I disagree ... I think Apple OS is just about the worst of my Windows and Android and Apple machines
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How can I....   How can I.... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 10, 2017 2:31 pm

Mart wrote:
I have never tried Apple products because I've always got on OK with the various versions of Windows. No need for me to look further. It's good that there's always the choice though.

Fair comment Mart. I have a laptop with Windows 10 Pro installed and compared to my Apple Sierra OS it's nowhere near ease of use.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: How can I....   How can I.... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 10, 2017 4:23 pm

It all becomes second nature in the end if you work only with Windows.
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: How can I....   How can I.... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 10, 2017 4:52 pm

I guess the problem is that after you buy your first Apple device - you get accustomed to its interface and how it works. You also get to know that it will not run some software and apps that are designed for Windows.

In my case for several years I have been wedded to a Garmin Satnav and its PC mapping - I can easily plot waypoints and routes on the PC and download them to the Garmin. I also have some financial software that I have used for years.
But neither will run on Apple which was a red line for my own circumstance.

Hence I am happy to retain loyalty to Windows but accept that there are some areas where the Apple philosophy and human interface may be a little better

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: How can I....   How can I.... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 10, 2017 8:47 pm

I spent a bit of time customising the interface because it's a fairly important aspect for me. That's one thing I've always liked about Windows. Versions to date have always allowed the user to change the appearance and usage (the interface) in so many different ways.

Windows 10 is no different. It's possible to use it as it comes or change the interface ..and for those who don't like the W.10 interface at all, the system allows the installation different 3rd party programs that can make it look and feel like Windows 7 ..or even change it to something different altogether.

I personally like the tiled interface and adapted to it quite easily from the beginning. However, I have preferences as to how the tiles are set up and have customised them accordingly. Ease of use? ...well, everything I need is very quickly accessible.

I like to play a few games on my computer and have optionally pinned shortcuts for them to the tiled Start Menu. The same has been done with shortcuts to image editing programs, office applications, audio programs, system and other utilities.

Some screenshots:

This is the Desktop appearance, a few files and shortcuts for things I'm currently doing. The background is just a pattern made with one of my art programs.
How can I.... - Page 2 IFGwV6q

This is the Desktop with the tiles open.
How can I.... - Page 2 Jm7pvqh

A closer view of the tile arrangement
How can I.... - Page 2 Xcw5EeY

The Creators Update version of Windows 10 is includes a couple of icons at the top-left of the tiled Start Menu. These will toggle the tiles on/off and toggle the alphabetical menu on/off. Programs can be scrolled on the alphabetical menu...

How can I.... - Page 2 3HKi9I2

..but to avoid scrolling, click on any letter of the alphabet and this shows..
How can I.... - Page 2 PzhnqGX

If you know the first letter of the program you want to open, click the appropriate alphabet letter. Programs starting with that letter will jump to the top of the Window.

Finally, right-clicking on the Windows icon (on the Taskbar) will open the 'Power User Menu', giving a quick way to get to various parts of the computer.

How can I.... - Page 2 MoRfw2w

OK, while other arrangements can be thought easier, I reckon Windows 10 crams a whole lot into a space that has been made as easy to use as possible. A lot of it doesn't need daily access but anything that does can have a shortcut pinned as a tile to the Start Menu. Seems easy to me but opinions might vary.
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: How can I....   How can I.... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 10, 2017 10:55 pm

That's quite impressive Mart.

I too have customised Windows 10 to have a Win 7 interface. I use software called Start 10. An excellent 5 dollars worth.I don't like the tiles and instead use desktop shortcuts which are stored in folders to minimise the quantity of links cluttering the screen.

A disadvantage of this method is that Windows explorer opens in the format when it was last closed - which would normally effect the size of the desktop folders when you open them. However - a brilliant little software named ShellFolderFix solves this problem and my desktop folders each open in the size I have set to accommodate just the links they contain with medium sized icons. 
How can I.... - Page 2 VClG4FW

And this is the Satnav folder open showing all the links it contains

How can I.... - Page 2 Deskto14

I suppose you could argue that I have created my own tiles - but it works well for me.

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: How can I....   How can I.... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 10, 2017 11:31 pm

I think that's it Alan. You can set things up how you want to. I tried Start 10 and thought it good but went back to the tiles in the end. Just got used to them now I suppose.

Something that might be found interesting. Note the size of the images on the tiles. Normally, a lot of these would be small icon size. However I came across a program called 'TileIconifier'. This processes the Start Menu icons and makes them fit the tile. It doesn't work on Windows 10's own App tiles but it does on all 3rd party program shortcuts pinned to the Start Menu. It's possible to put your own custom-made images or photos on tiles too.

There are some clever people around who write all these things.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How can I....   How can I.... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

How can I....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Murgatroyd's Drop-in centre and Forum :: Lifestyle :: Computer Matters-
Jump to: