6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Tablets  Empty
PostSubject: Tablets    Tablets  EmptyMon May 22, 2017 3:45 pm

Management has come to the conclusion that she would like a "Tablet" and so we launched ourselves at York's branch of the countrie's largest dealer in such things. What I saw caused my wallet to throw a throm.

My first computer was one of the first of Alan Sugar's output and all my subsequent ones I have built myself. As a result I am not very well informed in the cost of modern playthings.

Any knowledge and information would be gratefully received.
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

Tablets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablets    Tablets  EmptyMon May 22, 2017 4:33 pm

I am useless  at technology. I have  Samsung 10" screen tablet. Fairly new to them.

It was quite expensive at a cost of 250 euro. I enjoy it but at times find it heavy if I want to read and revert back to my kindle.  Screen is clear and easy to use. 

I have got used to it now though.

Not much help. Sorry  :;smile:
Back to top Go down
meerkat12
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
meerkat12

Tablets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablets    Tablets  EmptyMon May 22, 2017 4:51 pm

I have an IPad which I find fantastic , exspensive but well worth the money.
When I first got mine I also bought a book from PC world to help me if I needed it
Takes good pictures
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Tablets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablets    Tablets  EmptyMon May 22, 2017 11:33 pm

I don't use a tablet but Mrs Mart does. She used an iPad 3 for a few years but recently got a Microsoft Surface Pro 4, which she likes more than the iPad, partly because it has a proper USB 3.0 socket and a sharp display. The Surface Pro 4 runs on Windows 10. It can be used as a Laptop computer if bought with a keyboard, or as a tablet when the keyboard is detached. The keyboard is usually sold as an extra.

The price of the Surface Pro 4 depends on the processor type and the amount of memory built into it. I've had a play with this tablet and it looks OK to me.
Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Tablets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablets    Tablets  EmptyTue May 23, 2017 10:23 am

Thank you for your replies.

I should have said that we have run Linux in our tower type computers for many years and find that it is infinity superior to any of  Microsoft's offerings. So one of the main questions, I suppose, is "Is the preloaded O.S. replaceable?"
Back to top Go down
meerkat12
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
meerkat12

Tablets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablets    Tablets  EmptyTue May 23, 2017 12:51 pm

Can anyone tell me what this message from Microsoft outlook means please.
 One or more folders in you mailbox have name conflicts with others or system reserved names.
folders with these names can't be downloaded by your IMAP emall program.
Connect with your mailbox using your web browser and rename those folders, once renamed those folders will be displayed in your IMAP email application correctly.

I keep getting this in my mail don't know what it means, I mainly use my iPad thanks.
But I do have a computer I use occasionally.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Tablets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablets    Tablets  EmptyTue May 23, 2017 4:18 pm

catgate wrote:
Thank you for your replies.

I should have said that we have run Linux in our tower type computers for many years and find that it is infinity superior to any of  Microsoft's offerings. So one of the main questions, I suppose, is "Is the preloaded O.S. replaceable?"

Replacing the existing OS on a tablet may not be possible, or not easily done anyway. I read the processor type could be the sticking point with some tablets. If wanting Linux on a tablet, it might be best to research the makes of tablet Linux can be installed on and make a choice from those. A dedicated Linux forum might be the best place to get advice on what is and isn't possible.

Having used Linux quite a bit on a Desktop computer, I find it isn't infinitely superior to a Windows OS. It is just different. However, I would agree it can easily take the place of a Windows operating system for those who dislike Microsoft systems and spend much time saying so. Linux systems are certainly good enough these days to allow people to vote with their feet and switch to a free system that might suit them better.

Edit: Typo.

Last edited by Mart on Tue May 23, 2017 6:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Tablets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablets    Tablets  EmptyTue May 23, 2017 4:53 pm

meerkat12 wrote:
Can anyone tell me what this message from Microsoft outlook means please.
 One or more folders in you mailbox have name conflicts with others or system reserved names.
folders with these names can't be downloaded by your IMAP emall program.
Connect with your mailbox using your web browser and rename those folders, once renamed those folders will be displayed in your IMAP email application correctly.

I keep getting this in my mail don't know what it means, I mainly use my iPad thanks.
But I do have a computer I use occasionally.

I haven't had experience of this problem myself, so can't give the steps needed to resolve it. However, there is quite a bit of help available regarding that message. Copy and paste the italic text below into Google (or other search engine), then click the search button:

One or more folders in your mailbox have name conflicts with others or system reserved names. Folders with these names can’t be downloaded by your IMAP e-mail program.

Quite a few entries will come up. One of the results is the site linked to below. It seems to have the clearest explanation to me.

http://windowsreport.com/utlook-folders-mailbox-name-conflicts/

Don't install the software recommended in the page but read the explanation of the fault and its remedy a few times in order to understand what is being said. Then log into your mail server using a web browser (not an e-mail program) and see if there are folders with similar names. If there are, then renaming one of them is said to be the answer. I hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Tablets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablets    Tablets  EmptyThu May 25, 2017 10:11 pm

meerkat12's  message from Microsoft is just the sort of thing that Windows 98SE users used to receive on a regular basis and were just the thing that made me cut loose and load up with first Ubuntu and then MInt. I switched to Mint because Ubuntu was "upgrading" itself into  an "upper class" version of Windows.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Tablets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablets    Tablets  EmptyFri May 26, 2017 7:20 pm

Maybe 'Management' could adapt to some sort of Android tablet? That's far removed from Windows and works well.
Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Tablets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablets    Tablets  EmptySun May 28, 2017 4:22 pm

Mart wrote:
Maybe 'Management' could adapt to some sort of Android tablet? That's far removed from Windows and works well.

She has done so....

We await with baited breath and a bag of crisps.
Back to top Go down
Purwell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Purwell

Tablets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablets    Tablets  EmptySun May 28, 2017 4:44 pm

I personally cannot get to grips with Android at all, gave my last phone away because I could not make it work.
Using a cheap Linx Windows 10 notebook cum tablet now without any major problems.
Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Tablets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablets    Tablets  EmptySun May 28, 2017 8:14 pm

Purwell wrote:
I personally cannot get to grips with Android at all, gave my last phone away because I could not make it work.

Oh Dear!!! What are we in for now???
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Tablets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablets    Tablets  EmptySun May 28, 2017 11:29 pm

Mrs Mart used a Hudl (a Tesco special) for a while. This uses an Adroid OS. It was mostly used for browsing the Internet, playing a few games and reading books with the Kindle App. She seemed to get to grips with using it OK.
Back to top Go down
Purwell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Purwell

Tablets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablets    Tablets  EmptySun May 28, 2017 11:38 pm

Lots of people seem to love Android, but it makes no sense to me at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tablets  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tablets    Tablets  Empty

Back to top Go down

Tablets
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Murgatroyd's Drop-in centre and Forum :: Lifestyle :: Computer Matters-
Jump to: