8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

Alan's Croatian Holiday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Alan's Croatian Holiday EmptyFri May 12, 2017 7:49 pm

We have never been to Croatia and we will have a car there so may see quite a bit of the place. We are staying at Mlini which is near to Dubrovnik. I'm told we can get to Dubrovnik by water taxi.

We need a car because both of us have angina and unable to walk too far - especially when there are loads of steps or hills.

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Alan's Croatian Holiday EmptySat May 13, 2017 7:38 am

AlanHo wrote:
We have never been to Croatia and we will have a car there so may see quite a bit of the place. We are staying at Mlini which is near to Dubrovnik. I'm told we can get to Dubrovnik by water taxi.

We need a car because both of us have angina and unable to walk too far - especially when there are loads of steps or hills.
Take the water taxi/ferry a great experience, if only to witness the colour of the sea.
Take your car to the Dubrava Peninsula and visit the President Hotel at Babin Kuk for coffee..... it is a stunning place ! We always stay there when we visit Dubrovnik.
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Alan's Croatian Holiday EmptyMon May 15, 2017 11:14 am

malcolm wrote:
AlanHo wrote:

Take the water taxi/ferry a great experience, if only to witness the colour of the sea.
Take your car to the Dubrava Peninsula and visit the President Hotel at Babin Kuk for coffee..... it is a stunning place ! We always stay there when we visit Dubrovnik.
When do you go Alan ?
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Alan's Croatian Holiday EmptyMon May 15, 2017 4:29 pm

We leave home at 03:45 tomorrow morning (Tues 15th) to catch a 06.15 flight to Dubrovnik from where we drive to Mlini in a Golf Auto hire car to stay at the Astoreas Hotel for 10 days. We get back home the evening of the 25th.

We are at home for just 12 days before spending a week in the Lake district - stopping off in York for 2 days on the way there for some sightseeing and a special dinner for six - one of our travelling companions is celebrating a big birthday. On the way back we again divert, but this time to Leeds for a day or two to stay with my favourite cousin who is as mad as a box of frogs..

I have made a note of your recommendation to see the President and loaded it into my Garmin sat nav as a favourite, together with all the other places we may visit.

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Alan's Croatian Holiday EmptyMon May 15, 2017 5:25 pm

I truly hope that you have the most splendid time for the next few weeks Alan, your presence on the forum will be sorely missed. yes
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Alan's Croatian Holiday EmptyMon May 15, 2017 7:12 pm

Enjoy Alan x  :;smile:
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Alan's Croatian Holiday EmptyMon May 15, 2017 11:13 pm

why don't you just take an Ipad and keep up to date with us - you'll be bored with all that sight seeing surely? spitffire
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Alan's Croatian Holiday EmptyTue May 16, 2017 5:26 pm

Alan ... you may like to see this
a walk we have made many many times in both directions, from The President to Lapad and return.

Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Alan's Croatian Holiday EmptyTue May 16, 2017 8:37 pm

Lovely scenery Malcolm. Thanks for the post.

Because of our early start this morning we didn't bother to go to bed last night and both had a doze when we reached the hotel after a drive through some stunning scenery. We had a minor problem at the hotel because we were there by 11.00 am and perhaps not many rooms were ready. The one they allocated was not up to snuff and we insisted on being given what we had paid for. That being a superior room with full sea view - not a substandard one with a side view of a narrow slit of sea. All was well that ended well and we spent a nice time in the beach bar waiting for a lovely room to be made ready.

Libby had a second slight gripe - we had come away on this day to celebrate our 8th wedding anniversary - guess who forgot to get her a card. It took a whole bottle of full bodied Sauvignon Carbernet to drown her sorrows over a splendid meal.

More anon - watch this space.

Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Alan's Croatian Holiday EmptyTue May 16, 2017 8:43 pm

Sounds superb  Alan.  Happy Anniversary to you young lovebirds.

Have a really lovely holiday x
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Alan's Croatian Holiday EmptyWed May 17, 2017 6:48 am

Happy Anniversary Alan from me too
A speciality and delicious red wine from the area is Plavac (pronounced plavach) try it....I promise you will love it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Alan's Croatian Holiday EmptyWed May 17, 2017 3:15 pm

You and Mrs. Ho have a great time Alan. Don't forget my stick of rock. yes
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Alan's Croatian Holiday EmptyWed May 17, 2017 3:52 pm

Alan's Croatian Holiday Croati10
Malcolm - we took your advice and bought a couple of bottles from Lidl. Both are 14.5% so not lacking in that respect

One was 39.99kn (£4.80) and the other 79.99kn (£9.60) - I will leave you to guess which is which. There were cheaper ones but they did not look appealing.

I have tried the more expensive one and it is quite fruity, smooth and with a long finish. It is lovely - not as full bodied as my favourite Italian or Portuguese wines, but very enjoyable nonetheless.  It will be interesting to see how the cheaper one fares.

We have had an easy day today due to catching up on our sleep, We were too late for breakfast so we had a snack at the hotel's beach bar at lunch time. We are here on half board because neither of us normally have lunch.

After the brief trip out to Lidl to buy the staple diets which were, gin, tonics, water and fruit, we spent a couple of hours browsing the extensive hotel grounds, and private beach area which includes a number of very nice small villas dotted into the steep wooded hillside facing the sea. We had no idea how big this place is when we booked it. For a 4 star hotel the place is excellent but is looking slightly tired in a few areas. This is more than compensated by the nice room, excellent friendly service the lack of rowdy kids and the standard of the buffet restaurant and food if last evening's dinner was anything to go by. There is an a la carte restaurant we will give a try later in the week.

Thank you folks for your kind wishes on our anniversary - we would have enjoyed it more if we had travelled the day before and not been so tired.

Alan's Croatian Holiday P1050212Alan's Croatian Holiday P1050211Alan's Croatian Holiday P1050213

Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Alan's Croatian Holiday EmptyWed May 17, 2017 10:12 pm

A lovely dining room - but what a surprise to discover what the table tops are made of - chipboard. A crisp white table cloth hides all.

Alan's Croatian Holiday 20170510

Alan's Croatian Holiday 20170511

After dinner we wandered off down the beach promenade to attend a classical guitar performance held in a pretty little chapel. Only big enough for 25 people. On the way there I took a snap of the sky as the sun was setting. A most unusual cloud - drifting along almost on its own. This snap with my phone fails to show the rich reds in the cloud.

Alan's Croatian Holiday 20170512

Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Alan's Croatian Holiday EmptyWed May 17, 2017 10:23 pm

Mrs A very attractive Alan. 

They make the tables of chipboard just in case you feel peckish. 

Enjoy  x  :;smile:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alan's Croatian Holiday   Alan's Croatian Holiday Empty

Back to top Go down

Alan's Croatian Holiday
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next