Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
The Beast
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
The Beast

Tall stories anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Tall stories anyone?   Tall stories anyone? EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 5:00 pm

If you drive along a meandering mountain road for about half an hour from where I live you will come across a quaint little village set in the foothills of ‘Montseny’ Parc Natural....

It is a pretty, neatly laid out 18th century village nationally renowned for its manufacture of ceramics and pottery and stands with the proud name of ‘Breda’..........Every other house is a small factory with its own kiln run by the family who live there..........Each has a shop/terrace selling directly onto the street with a frontage almost pompously expounding its ceramic prowess!

It’s a well visited tourist spot and coach parties arrive throughout the summer months, its only income....I go often with the missus to buy stuff for the garden.

During nigh on every visit I have noted the eternal presence of a stooped, elderly gentleman in an ever present, battered, felt fedora hat who trails around the narrow streets with a little handcart collecting the debris of broken ceramic and pottery discarded out the back doors of the many small kiln houses....He is a bit of a local character and many tourists take photos of him whilst at his toil.

During one visit I was having a swift wet in one of the few hostelries there as the missus was out perusing pots when said character passed the bar frontage and a hearty good day was called and waved by a couple of obvious locals. I turned to a hunched old crone sat close by my table and inquired as to whom the colorful cart puller was.

She cackled hoarsely, threw back the tiny glass of red wine in front of her, gestured the host for me to fill her glass and beckoned me closer. I obliged...

‘’I’ll tell you a story’’, she babbled.....’’I’ll tell you a story sir’’! Her catalan accent was deep, guttural and hard to understand…

She wiped the back of a mottled, dark skinned hand across cracked dry lips as she gulped a mouthful of wine redder than blood..

‘’He appeared’’, she nodded toward the old bent figure outside in the sunshine, ‘’ He appeared here many, many years ago’’. She gazed off somewhere with a small wry smile on her darkly lined face.

‘’ He appeared many, many years ago, just with the rags on his back, he had nothing more......nothing!’’

‘’ Her shrivelled hand shook slightly as she raised the glass to drink!

‘’He looked for work sir.....Looked hard....But’’ She shrugged, ‘’The way things were back then...eh?’’ Tiny frail shoulders shook beneath her tattered shawl.

‘’Looked for work for many months, many months sir.....But nothing.....No work....There was no work back then’’, She scratched at the aged wooden table with an old ragged nail.

‘’ The Generalissimo’’ she whispered, ‘’The troubles’’, Bloodshot eyes darted back and forth furtively.......’’ You understand?’’

‘’He had nothing....No food......I...I....fed him....You know ....helped him, we helped him’’

I nodded, urging her to continue!

‘’In the end.....He went to the mayor, you know....The mayor’’

I nodded again, knowingly.

‘’He asked for help.....for money....You know....Money....To buy the cart’’

I was transfixed...I swallowed and smiled my understanding.

‘’With the cart’’, she pointed a gnarled finger in the direction of the old man, slowly pushing his cart along the dusty, dry street.

‘’With...the cart....He collected all the pots....All the pots, you know? All the broken pots and pieces.....All the broken pieces of pots’’, she trailed off mumbling.

I smiled at the crone as if we were sharing some secret.

‘’For years he gathered....for years he collected.....Yeas and years he collected all the pieces, the broken pots.....saving them.....Saving and selling them....You know?’’

My eyes caught the bartenders and I looked down at her half empty glass, he grimaced and reached for the wine bottle...

The little dark clothed old woman went on.....

‘’All the pots and pieces....All the broken pots and pieces...He saved them and sold them, saved and sold them....All of them!’’

I took a sip at my now tepid beer...

‘’He saved and sold....saved and sold.....all of them..’’

She crouched forward as if in pain, clutching the wineglass as a crutch, fingers tight and raw, knuckles like tiny white pebbles!

‘’Do you know how much he is worth now.....this man....How much?’’

I leaned in closer, I could smell the Earth on her, the very soil she trod in her daily life!

‘’How much?’’ I whispered...’’How much?’’

‘’Fu#k all’’ she cackled......
’’Fu#k all....And he still owes for the handcart’’!!

Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: Tall stories anyone?   Tall stories anyone? EmptyFri Nov 28, 2014 8:27 am

drum drum drum drum

-----------------------------------------
Gustav Mahler is the finest composer who ever lived.

Tall stories anyone? 2nkrm36
Back to top Go down
Judd
Judd

PostSubject: Re: Tall stories anyone?   Tall stories anyone? EmptySat Dec 06, 2014 2:38 pm

The OP reminds me of the time I was on holiday in Sardinia. Sitting at a small bar in the harbour with a glass of wine watching for the impending sunset, I watched a small fleet of fishing boats pull up at the dock. The fishermen climbed off their boats, set up tables and put that day's catch on them to sell to cafe owners and locals. They were all in one group save for one wizened old man who stood apart.

A short while later, two nuns arrived at his table and he handed over two of the largest fish. Both nuns crossed themselves, rattled their rosaries and walked on tutting to themselves. Soon, a pompous official looking man arrived at the old fisherman's table, took a couple of fish, muttered something I couldn't make out, spat on the floor and walked off with his fish. Presently, a nurse in a blue uniform arrived and the old man gave her two of the best fish remaining on the table. She too muttered something, spat on the floor and walked off.

As she disappeared, the old man wrapped up what was left of his catch and set off presumably to his home. Intrigued, I called to him to join me in a glass of wine and taking the chair opposite to me I asked about the events at his table. Taking a sip of his wine he said...

"Do you see that bell tower on Our Lady's church? I built that with my own two hands. Do they call me Luigi the builder? No, they do not. At the top of the village is on orphanage where I tend the gardens and for which I raise a lot of money from selling my fish. Do they call me Luigi the benefactor? No they do not. At the local hospital I do voluntary work transferring patients from ward to ward. Do they call me Luigi the porter? No, they do not, but get caught sucking one lousy cock......."
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: Tall stories anyone?   Tall stories anyone? EmptySat Dec 06, 2014 2:54 pm

Judd wrote:
The OP reminds me of the time I was on holiday in Sardinia. Sitting at a small bar in the harbour with a glass of wine watching for the impending sunset, I watched a small fleet of fishing boats pull up at the dock. The fishermen climbed off their boats, set up tables and put that day's catch on them to sell to cafe owners and locals. They were all in one group save for one wizened old man who stood apart.

A short while later, two nuns arrived at his table and he handed over two of the largest fish. Both nuns crossed themselves, rattled their rosaries and walked on tutting to themselves. Soon, a pompous official looking man arrived at the old fisherman's table, took a couple of fish, muttered something I couldn't make out, spat on the floor and walked off with his fish. Presently, a nurse in a blue uniform arrived and the old man gave her two of the best fish remaining on the table. She too muttered something, spat on the floor and walked off.

As she disappeared, the old man wrapped up what was left of his catch and set off presumably to his home. Intrigued, I called to him to join me in a glass of wine and taking the chair opposite to me I asked about the events at his table. Taking a sip of his wine he said...

"Do you see that bell tower on Our Lady's church? I built that with my own two hands. Do they call me Luigi the builder? No, they do not. At the top of the village is on orphanage where I tend the gardens and for which I raise a lot of money from selling my fish. Do they call me Luigi the benefactor? No they do not. At the local hospital I do voluntary work transferring patients from ward to ward. Do they call me Luigi the porter? No, they do not, but get caught sucking one lousy cock......."

drum

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tall stories anyone?   Tall stories anyone? EmptySat Dec 06, 2014 6:38 pm

how TALL is TALL cool
Back to top Go down
Judd
Judd

PostSubject: Re: Tall stories anyone?   Tall stories anyone? EmptySat Dec 06, 2014 7:10 pm

How Hai's a Chinaman?

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Back to top Go down
Judd
Judd

PostSubject: Re: Tall stories anyone?   Tall stories anyone? EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 1:05 pm

At this time of year, I'm minded of a tale my father (an ex-postman) told me.

Every year, selected postmen had to do the `Santa Run`- this meant them sat in the sorting office for hours on end sifting out the dear Santa letters, opening them to get reply addresses (if any) and sending a standard Santa's reply letter.

One one occasion, my dad said he noticed his friend Bob's eyes well up with tears at a letter he had just read and couldn't speak he was that choked up with emotion. Taking the unstamped, poorly hand-written letter from Bob, he read it himself then stood up and announced.

"Listen to this lads... it's from an elderly lady, distressed because some thief robbed her of a hundred quid out of this month's pension money and will be cold and hungry for the rest of the month if she doesn't receive some financial help"

He and his mates organised a collection amongst the other postal workers, who dig deep and come up with 94 pounds and got it to her by special delivery the same morning.
A week later, Bob recognises the same hand on another envelope. "Hey look lads!" he announces, "We've got a reply from the old lady"
He opens it and reads: "Dear Santa, Thank you for the £94, this month would have certainly bleak without it.
P.S. It was six pounds short but that was probably those thieving bastards at the Post Office."

Last edited by Judd on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sags
Ex-member
Ex-member
sags

PostSubject: Re: Tall stories anyone?   Tall stories anyone? EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 1:52 pm

Well that was a kick in the teeth wasn't it.
I bet they never bothered again... poor lads.
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: Tall stories anyone?   Tall stories anyone? EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 3:59 pm

Judd wrote:
At this time of year, I'm minded of a tale my father (an ex-postman) told me.

Every year, selected postmen had to do the `Santa Run`- this meant them sat in the sorting office for hours on end sifting out the dear Santa letters, opening them to get reply addresses (if any) and sending a standard Santa's reply letter.

One one occasion, my dad said he noticed his friend Bob's eyes well up with tears at a letter he had just read and couldn't speak he was that choked up with emotion. Taking the unstamped, poorly hand-written letter from Bob, he read it himself then stood up and announced.

"Listen to this lads... it's from an elderly lady, distressed because some thief robbed her of a hundred quid out of this month's pension money and will be cold and hungry for the rest of the month if she doesn't receive some financial help"

He and his mates organised a collection amongst the other postal workers, who dig deep and come up with 94 pounds and got it to her by special delivery the same morning.
A week later, Bob recognises the same hand on another envelope. "Hey look lads!" he announces, "We've got a reply from the old lady"
He opens it and reads: "Dear Santa, Thank you for the £94, this month would have certainly bleak without it.
P.S. It was four pounds short but that was probably those thieving bastards at the Post Office."

Like it drum drum

Back to top Go down
The Beast
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
The Beast

PostSubject: Re: Tall stories anyone?   Tall stories anyone? EmptySun Dec 18, 2016 5:46 pm

For a few years in the late 70’s and early 80’s, I was lucky enough to have had a few bob and spent some years working and playing along the Cote d’Azur in the south of France. It is where I met the missus who at the time was working as a cook on an ocean going yacht running charters out of Cannes, I say yacht but it was an enormous ocean going vessel with huge ‘ Penthouse’ engines and room for thirty people on board.
It was coming to the end of a beautiful summer in October 1980 and I was at a loose end after having run a busy campsite for the last 7 months in a little town called Cavalaire. My new companion suggested joining her on her next long haul charter heading for South Africa as a cleaner/waiter/deckhand…..I jumped at the chance and after some cajoling on her part the owners of the yacht agreed to employ me…..No CBC’s or EBC’s or contract signings back in those days……Just a handshake!
We left Cannes on a spectacular morning on October 28th 1980 heading for Cape Town, South Africa, a journey expecting to take three months hugging the coast all the way down the Western coast of the African continent……I was overwhelmed by it all and delighted in the menial but often hard tasks of cleaning up after and serving meals to the 12 members of 2 very rich American families, there was also a crew of 7 including myself, so you can imagine the size of the vessel. It was a fantastic experience and I hold many fond memories of the trip.
One of the most bizarre events we experienced and has always had an impact on my outlook on life was off the coast of Angola. It was a few days before Christmas and the mood of everyone on the yacht was easy and upbeat. On the morning of the 23rd a commotion ensued when one of the crew noticed a small motor dingy running close by us with what appeared to be a number of people huddled miserably aboard. Anyway, after a lot of confusion and hairy maneuvering, six frightening looking Africans were helped from their small vessel onto ours, three of whom were small children.
Well, apparently, according to maritime law and the captains understanding and prior knowledge of the current situation in the countries we were passing and numerous calls to whatever hierarchy he contacted, the refugees, as that as what we all believed them to be, were accommodated below and informed they would be handed over to international authorities when we reached our destination.
During the next month I spent a great deal of time with the family as that is what they turned out to be. Father, mother, three children and brother of the mother, the only one who spoke English.  He was Albert, a journalist who was escaping from what he implied as certain death from authorities in Angola and had taken his sisters family on a desperate attempt to escape whatever persecution he was under. The kids were great fun and my girlfriend and I spent hours with them most days. Ngumo, Aldela and Kyoti were their names. Our destination was south of Cape town at an area known as ‘Agulhas national park ‘, where the American families owned property. As we sailed down the African continent, Albert spoke a little about life in his country and the oppression from opposing political parties and the military regime governing all...It sounded like a nightmare life! We spent many hours talking through the balmy nights and we got on quite well.
Before we reached our final destination, the yacht stopped at Cape town and whatever machinations had to take place to place the African family into the hands of whoever took them, took place. It was an emotional farewell to the refugee family as we had grown quite close in the weeks since our paths crossed and photos were taken and addresses swapped , well, at least we gave ours.
My girlfriend was travelling on further with another charter and I was due back in France by the end of January, so I took a couple of weeks travelling back by sea and air and later in the summer met up with my girlfriend and we are still together, living here in Catalonia between Barcelona and Girona.
Anyway, a couple, of years ago, I had to renew a residence permit I hold. I don’t know what it’s like in the UK but anything to do with local bureaucracy over here is a fiscal and physical nightmare to maneuver, the Catalan generalitat being the biggest employer in Catalonia, they don’t discriminate against anybody at all. They employ the biggest, obnoxious, ill-mannered, slope-fore headed racists you will ever meet and give them the power to abuse the power they have. The only proviso, is that you have to be fluent in catalan!. Arse holes to a man/woman.
After having queued for a day to obtain a number to allow oneself to queue at another office to arrange an appointment for another office, I was a little wound up to say the least.  But all I had to do to ease my frustration was to gaze across the vast chamber of an office I was presently in to observe the unending, meandering queue that wound in several loops around little green flags that stretched out of the actual building and down the street for the NON EU members that were in the very same process I was partaking in. These people from countries from around the globe attempting to settle in Spain were given short shrift, to say the least. They had to queue for days at a time! And they came with their families. There were more gas burners cooking meals and heating coffee and crying children than I could count.
It is always a good idea to go to these bureaucratic edifices of hell with a companion, as sure as anything, you will need to find a bank or post office to pay some derisory sum to a generalitat bank account and receive an official stamp on some form or another several times a visit, before you can move on to the next step. The companion is there to keep your place in the queue.
One of the numerous times I was returning to my guarded place in the queue from yet another visit to pay more sheckles into the Catalan government bank vaults , I heard my name being called across the vast hall in a deep booming voice. I turned to look for the source of the call but just saw a snaking line of black, white, Asian and oriental faces gazing back……
Like a sea parting, the masses in front of me opened up and a huge form appeared , giant arms stretched out to greet me, the deep booming voice all the time crying out my name……….

Yes…..

It was….

It was …….

It was Jessie, a bloke that works at my local garage!
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Tall stories anyone?   Tall stories anyone? EmptySun Dec 18, 2016 6:19 pm

This thread was well worth waking up - otherwise I would have missed it..........great funny stories.

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: Tall stories anyone?   Tall stories anyone? EmptyMon Dec 19, 2016 8:41 am

The Beast wrote:
For a few years in the late 70’s and early 80’s, I was lucky enough to have had a few bob and spent some years working and playing along the Cote d’Azur in the south of France. It is where I met the missus who at the time was working as a cook on an ocean going yacht running charters out of Cannes, I say yacht but it was an enormous ocean going vessel with huge ‘ Penthouse’ engines and room for thirty people on board.
It was coming to the end of a beautiful summer in October 1980 and I was at a loose end after having run a busy campsite for the last 7 months in a little town called Cavalaire. My new companion suggested joining her on her next long haul charter heading for South Africa as a cleaner/waiter/deckhand…..I jumped at the chance and after some cajoling on her part the owners of the yacht agreed to employ me…..No CBC’s or EBC’s or contract signings back in those days……Just a handshake!
We left Cannes on a spectacular morning on October 28th 1980 heading for Cape Town, South Africa, a journey expecting to take three months hugging the coast all the way down the Western coast of the African continent……I was overwhelmed by it all and delighted in the menial but often hard tasks of cleaning up after and serving meals to the 12 members of 2 very rich American families, there was also a crew of 7 including myself, so you can imagine the size of the vessel. It was a fantastic experience and I hold many fond memories of the trip.
One of the most bizarre events we experienced and has always had an impact on my outlook on life was off the coast of Angola. It was a few days before Christmas and the mood of everyone on the yacht was easy and upbeat. On the morning of the 23rd a commotion ensued when one of the crew noticed a small motor dingy running close by us with what appeared to be a number of people huddled miserably aboard. Anyway, after a lot of confusion and hairy maneuvering, six frightening looking Africans were helped from their small vessel onto ours, three of whom were small children.
Well, apparently, according to maritime law and the captains understanding and prior knowledge of the current situation in the countries we were passing and numerous calls to whatever hierarchy he contacted, the refugees, as that as what we all believed them to be, were accommodated below and informed they would be handed over to international authorities when we reached our destination.
During the next month I spent a great deal of time with the family as that is what they turned out to be. Father, mother, three children and brother of the mother, the only one who spoke English.  He was Albert, a journalist who was escaping from what he implied as certain death from authorities in Angola and had taken his sisters family on a desperate attempt to escape whatever persecution he was under. The kids were great fun and my girlfriend and I spent hours with them most days. Ngumo, Aldela and Kyoti were their names. Our destination was south of Cape town at an area known as ‘Agulhas national park ‘, where the American families owned property. As we sailed down the African continent, Albert spoke a little about life in his country and the oppression from opposing political parties and the military regime governing all...It sounded like a nightmare life! We spent many hours talking through the balmy nights and we got on quite well.
Before we reached our final destination, the yacht stopped at Cape town and whatever machinations had to take place to place the African family into the hands of whoever took them, took place. It was an emotional farewell to the refugee family as we had grown quite close in the weeks since our paths crossed and photos were taken and addresses swapped , well, at least we gave ours.
My girlfriend was travelling on further with another charter and I was due back in France by the end of January, so I took a couple of weeks travelling back by sea and air and later in the summer met up with my girlfriend and we are still together, living here in Catalonia between Barcelona and Girona.
Anyway, a couple, of years ago, I had to renew a residence permit I hold. I don’t know what it’s like in the UK but anything to do with local bureaucracy over here is a fiscal and physical nightmare to maneuver, the Catalan generalitat being the biggest employer in Catalonia, they don’t discriminate against anybody at all. They employ the biggest, obnoxious, ill-mannered, slope-fore headed racists you will ever meet and give them the power to abuse the power they have. The only proviso, is that you have to be fluent in catalan!. Arse holes to a man/woman.
After having queued for a day to obtain a number to allow oneself to queue at another office to arrange an appointment for another office, I was a little wound up to say the least.  But all I had to do to ease my frustration was to gaze across the vast chamber of an office I was presently in to observe the unending, meandering queue that wound in several loops around little green flags that stretched out of the actual building and down the street for the NON EU members that were in the very same process I was partaking in. These people from countries from around the globe attempting to settle in Spain were given short shrift, to say the least. They had to queue for days at a time! And they came with their families. There were more gas burners cooking meals and heating coffee and crying children than I could count.
It is always a good idea to go to these bureaucratic edifices of hell with a companion, as sure as anything, you will need to find a bank or post office to pay some derisory sum to a generalitat bank account and receive an official stamp on some form or another several times a visit, before you can move on to the next step. The companion is there to keep your place in the queue.
One of the numerous times I was returning to my guarded place in the queue from yet another visit to pay more sheckles into the Catalan government bank vaults , I heard my name being called across the vast hall in a deep booming voice. I turned to look for the source of the call but just saw a snaking line of black, white, Asian and oriental faces gazing back……
Like a sea parting, the masses in front of me opened up and a huge form appeared , giant arms stretched out to greet me, the deep booming voice all the time crying out my name……….

Yes…..

It was….

It was …….

It was Jessie, a bloke that works at my local garage!

GROAN!!!!!I spent half an hour wading through that lot.

Back to top Go down
The Beast
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
The Beast

PostSubject: Re: Tall stories anyone?   Tall stories anyone? EmptyMon Dec 19, 2016 5:54 pm

I wrote this several years ago as an experiment in alternative thought...

Read it through, then read it line for line backwards. A bit like life!!!

This may seem a little confusing to some people who have come to know me but it’s what I truly believe,
 ‘Charity begins at home’                     
Is the biggest load of bollocks you will ever hear and                                                            
 That Chasing the £ sign is good,                                                                 
So in the future I’ll tell all my friends and family                     
They mean feck all to me in this life,
My peers will understand that                                  
I’ve got my goals set on course and
The pursuit of the golden egg and shallow riches
Mean more than
Close family and friends,
 I will say to you from deep down in the depths of my heart
From the beginning of time
Friends and families stayed, played and loved together,
But this will not be so in my grand kids lifetime,
This is a cheap crass, can’t be arsed throwaway generation,