4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Cycling Empty
PostSubject: Cycling   Cycling EmptyTue Apr 25, 2017 4:02 pm

Seeing Goldie's video in the Members Photos has brought to mind that it's been on the News lately how we might live longer if we were to cycle to get around locally. All in all, cycling seems to be good for a body as regards the muscles, respiratory organs and even the brain.

Then again, there's always the danger of getting knocked down by motor vehicles. This is certainly one factor that can dramatically affect a cyclist's well-being and make them wish they'd never taken to the pedals. Another is that men might be more likely to get prostate cancer if they cycle more than 9 hours a week. No conclusive evidence of that but it's what I read. I cycle probably no more about 5 hours a week these days, so perhaps I won't get that type of cancer at least.

All in all, I wonder if's really healthy to cycle? Maybe best not to and avoid the risk of prostate cancer, breathing exhaust fumes and/or being knocked over by motor vehicles. Quite a dilemma I reckon. :)
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

Cycling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycling   Cycling EmptyTue Apr 25, 2017 4:23 pm

You can't analyse every activity to that degree Mart.
Essentially, cycling is very good for your overall health, as, for instance, is good old plain walking. Excessive excersise may be OK for you whilst you are young and good preparation for your older years but too much strenuous activity in your seventies is not a good idea.
Prostate cancer, thankfully, is very slow growing and will affect one in three men in their seventies or eighties, but may not usually be life threatening.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Cycling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycling   Cycling EmptyWed Apr 26, 2017 9:22 am

I can still cycle a lot faster and for longer than some younger cyclists ..but that's just the sort of thing most people in their 70's say before being found dead at the side of the road from a heart attack. :)

Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

Cycling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycling   Cycling EmptyWed Apr 26, 2017 3:30 pm

I cycle but very sedately, mostly to pick up shopping.

The serious cyclists here do their warm weather training so the island is always full all  year round.

I prefer to walk or swim for exercise, it's the hills that make me glow too much cycling.  

Although we do cycle down to the lighthouse at the very tip of thd island a few miles away on quite straight cycle pathways and normally early morning.

It's the swimmers here Mart. Get cold water shock. The Atlantic is freezing.
Back to top Go down
Pumicestone
Pumicestone

Cycling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycling   Cycling EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 7:16 pm

When one has an arse the size of an elephant's, cycling is not an option.

Bike seats are not of adequate size and disappear - never to be seen again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cycling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycling   Cycling Empty

Back to top Go down

Cycling
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Murgatroyd's Drop-in centre and Forum :: Popular Topics :: Public Bar and Lounge-
Jump to: