HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Goldie
Goldie

Message Empty
PostSubject: Message   Message EmptyMon Apr 17, 2017 5:14 am

While my tablet was scanning for viruses last night a message came up about ..

Warning your clipboard may be being monitored - it then  went onto described somebody enjoying gaming and other activities.

Is that as alarming as it sounds or is it my virus and malware protection company playing silly beggars in the hope you will upgrade to the non free package.  I have AVG

Can anyone offer safety advice as I do have app store that seem to want access to various things.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
-pops-
-pops-

Message Empty
PostSubject: Re: Message   Message EmptyMon Apr 17, 2017 9:40 am

Sorry, Goldie, this is not a reply but I'm trying to help Mart who is unable to send a response.
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

Message Empty
PostSubject: Re: Message   Message EmptyMon Apr 17, 2017 9:44 am

AVG Free has recently been updated to AVG Zen and has radically changed.
Just ignore any pop-ups, they are trying to sell you a paid version.
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

Message Empty
PostSubject: Re: Message   Message EmptyMon Apr 17, 2017 9:51 am

Thanks guys not a problem I got a bit alarmed initially and realised it was a cunning plan  :;smile:

Thank you Mart. X
Back to top Go down
Purwell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Purwell

Message Empty
PostSubject: Re: Message   Message EmptyMon Apr 17, 2017 12:58 pm

I used to think AVG was very good, but a few years back they got too aggressive with trying to sel the "paid for" version and I just stick to the Microsoft Security now.
I am of the opinion that a lot of these programs are nowhere near as good as they say and are always playing "catch up" anyway.
If you are careful which sites you visit and do not click on dubious links you are very unlikely to pick up a virus and anyway the vast majority of viruses are only data gathering for sales purposes.
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

Message Empty
PostSubject: Re: Message   Message EmptyMon Apr 17, 2017 1:48 pm

Thanks Purl they are a pain in the proverbial  A. 

I can almost do nothing. I know who the person was as well. Not a nice tactic.

Google services are the same too. That is why I need advice.

I have got Microsoft private email and word but they keep trying to cut those guys out of the equation.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Message Empty
PostSubject: Re: Message   Message EmptyMon Apr 17, 2017 2:01 pm

It might only be advertising from AVG. This is not a program I have used myself but I read the free version can have pop-up adverts. If that is the case, then it's not much to worry about and just part and parcel of using the free version of the software. Nonetheless, it might still be worth scanning your computer with a second security program. I would run AdwCleaner to see what it comes up with.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

Do you use an ad-blocker? If not, you could try using one to see if it stops some of those annoyances that come via the browser.

I don't think AV programs alone are all that good for the reason Purwell had mentioned, although most don't just work on virus signatures alone now. They tend to include other protection methods as well.

I wouldn't recommend not using an AV program at all but I am not using one myself. I am using a program that hardens the system against being exploited (HitmanPro.Alert) ..plus doing 'on-demand' scans periodically. These being done with Hitman, Malwarebytes AntiMalware and AdwCleaner.

Regarding the Clipboard, I never leave anything on it just in case there is a possibility of it being read. The Clipboard holds the last thing you copied. For instance, if the last thing you copy/pasted to the Clipboard was a password or some bank log in details, this can remain on the Clipboard as you browse the Internet and visit sites.

A way to make sure there is nothing that could be a risk left on the Clipboard is to copy a couple of random letters from a sentence onto it. Just a small precaution and easy to do.
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

Message Empty
PostSubject: Re: Message   Message EmptyMon Apr 17, 2017 2:24 pm

It is just usually you tube stuff as a rule. Oh and the Limerick rules 

You know I am going to ask but how do you clear the clipboard. I can only find it if I cut and paste.

I told you I was a nightmare :;smile:
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

Message Empty
PostSubject: Re: Message   Message EmptyMon Apr 17, 2017 2:32 pm

Mart managed to find something called device smart manager on my tablet. Just run a scan and all OK. 

I have unistalled  AVG.

I will work out how to clear my clipboard as well. Thanks x 

Otherwise you will think I am a complete knum......
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

Message Empty
PostSubject: Re: Message   Message EmptyMon Apr 17, 2017 2:44 pm

Also I have two lots of apps.  Galaxy comes with the tablet  and Play and never know which to use as I have gmail
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Message Empty
PostSubject: Re: Message   Message EmptyMon Apr 17, 2017 5:01 pm

Goldie wrote:
You know I am going to ask but how do you clear the clipboard. I can only find it if I cut and paste.

I told you I was a nightmare :;smile:

Because the Clipboard can only hold the last letters, words or picture that was copied, you can more or less clear it by copying any old word or a couple of letters from anywhere. Then it wouldn't have any information on it that was useful to anyone, even if they did somehow manage to read it.

For instance, highlight or select the word 'or' from the paragraph above. Then right-click on it and choose 'Copy'. That's it. The only thing on the Clipboard is the word 'or', regardless of anything you copied previously. This is better than leaving a password sitting there, which might have been the last thing you copied.

There are programs called 'Clipboard Extenders' that will store a history of what has been copied but without this kind of additional program, only the last thing copied will be on the Clipboard. Just overwrite that by copying something else.
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

Message Empty
PostSubject: Re: Message   Message EmptyMon Apr 17, 2017 5:51 pm

Wow Mart thank you. I have spent hours looking for the clipboard. 

Really appreciate that   :;smile:
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Message Empty
PostSubject: Re: Message   Message EmptyMon Apr 17, 2017 7:48 pm

The Clipboard is only a temporary place in the computer's memory. It empties/erases when the computer shuts down. There is nothing actually installed called 'The Clipboard' as part of the operating system. Older operating systems used to have something called the 'Clipboard Viewer' but it isn't present on newer systems. However, it is possible to install one if that's what is wanted.
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

Message Empty
PostSubject: Re: Message   Message EmptyMon Apr 17, 2017 10:29 pm

Hi Mart since I unistalled AVG things are much better. I took off some apps as well.

Thanks all again :;smile:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Message Empty
PostSubject: Re: Message   Message Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1