meerkat12
8 posters
AuthorMessage
meerkat12
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
meerkat12

Birds from my garden. Empty
PostSubject: Birds from my garden.   Birds from my garden. EmptySun Apr 09, 2017 4:13 pm

Something weird happened this week,in our front drive we found a male & female blackbird which had died for some reason.
The odd thing is they were laying exactly side by side as if someone had put them like that.
No blood or injury signs no loose feathers, thought about a cat but not two at the same time
surely.They were the two which used our back garden as they are territorial.
It really upset me.I miss them in the garden. cry
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Birds from my garden.   Birds from my garden. EmptySun Apr 09, 2017 4:23 pm

Sounds like they flew at speed into a window or perhaps a car window if you had a car in your drive.
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Birds from my garden.   Birds from my garden. EmptySun Apr 09, 2017 5:44 pm

Awh how sad. The only time I encountered this was when we had a new conservatory in the UK.

A similar thing happened with two birds flying into the panes in quick succession. It upset me at the time and immediately whited them out until I could get blinds. 

As I  like craft I made some glass coloured hanging objects to hang in all the windows with the blinds and it never happened again. 

It appears clear glass confuses birds.
Back to top Go down
meerkat12
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
meerkat12

PostSubject: Re: Birds from my garden.   Birds from my garden. EmptyMon Apr 10, 2017 12:06 pm

There is a car in the drive, but I thought it unusual for two birds at the same time, and laying exactly side by side like that.
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Birds from my garden.   Birds from my garden. EmptyFri Apr 14, 2017 4:57 pm

That is sad meerkat - I'd be upset about that too. What a mystery! I wonder if they could have eaten some kind of slow poison where they had time to snuggle together before they died?
Back to top Go down
sags
Ex-member
Ex-member
sags

PostSubject: Re: Birds from my garden.   Birds from my garden. EmptyFri Apr 14, 2017 5:03 pm

Sounds weird ... both with no signs of injury or blood.

It'd upset me too.
The strangest thing I ever saw was when a little bird hit my front window once and landed in the drive stunned .. and another little bird flew in and began pecking at it, nudging it, as if trying to make it stir so it could get into a bush and recover in hiding. And it did. It got up after a bit and they both flew off together, albeit the poorly one a little drunkenly.
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Birds from my garden.   Birds from my garden. EmptyFri Apr 14, 2017 5:55 pm

I had a sparrow hawk flew into my front window and knocked itself out.
I took it to the vet's after placing it in a cardboard box, he examined it and put it back in the box ... He said it was OK and I should release it in an hour or so which I did and off it flew.
Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Birds from my garden.   Birds from my garden. EmptyMon Apr 24, 2017 10:59 pm

Before moving into our present bungalow (about 5 years ago) we had a bungalow about 5 miles away.
I had built a large open fronted shed with the open end facing east. I had all sorts of things in there. Ride on mower, oil drums full of oil, more containing creosote, lots of timber and stacks of useful things.

Hung on the inside of the end wall, nearest to the house, was a small coil of "underground" electric cable about 15 inches diameter,about and a hole in the middle 8 or 9 inches diameter. One Autumn day, as I past by, I saw that it had collected a few dead leaves.
We called the bungalow "The Orchard" because in our patch of Yorkshire we had several apple trees (both eating and cooking) a couple of plumb trees and a pear. So "tired" leaves blowing about was no new occurrence. As I passed a week or too later I saw more leaves had "blown" in.

Autumn became Winter and Winter became Spring, and one morning Management came in to my "workshop" and said "Follow me!", So I did and he took me to the coil of cable with leaves, and now Robin chicks. We had had a couple of robins about the garden since taking over the place a couple years earlier, and we had always tried to feed them in the harshest days of winter, and It now looked as though they wanted bed and breakfast for an entire family

They (and their chicks) now started to come much nearer the bungalow and eventually they would come right up to the kitchen door and on to both the kitchen window sills. One day I opened one of the windows, and one of the robins quite calmly bobbed in, and bobbed the length of the sill.

From then onwards the coil of cable stopped in place and supplied us with a few very gratifying and entertaining springs.
Back to top Go down
Irene
Irene

PostSubject: Re: Birds from my garden.   Birds from my garden. EmptyTue Apr 25, 2017 9:13 am

Lovely story, catgate. blowkiss

-----------------------------------------
..Birds from my garden. Irene_10
Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Birds from my garden.   Birds from my garden. EmptyTue Apr 25, 2017 4:43 pm

I'm glad you liked it, Irene.
It was a very nice bungalow and we lived there for 10 years. The farmer's window had It built in the orchard of the farm, when her husband died, to house one of her sons and family when he came to help her run the farm. He came and stayed for a year or two and then the farm was sold. As was the bungalow in the orchard. ...just at the time we were looking for a drier part of Yorkshire than the dales.

One of the joys was that of being surrounded by fields and wild life. We were  five and a half miles from a grocery shop. The nearest shop was a little butchers shop, attached to a local beef farmers premises, about a quarter of a mile up the lane . Also there was  a dairy  farmer just a bit farther away up the road which ran up the side of the orchard, and of course that meant we were able to continue having real genuine fresh milk straight out of the cow.  

The nearest village was two and a half miles away to the west, at the side of the river Derwent, and our current village is something like five and a half miles away.

The wild life about us was wonderful. We had that delightful hooting from a pair of Tawny Owls who used to roost in one of the apple trees every night and a pair of Barn Owls had stationed themselves in an old hen hut right over the other side of the farm. Every spring we had a few pairs of House Martins and Swallows nesting in the eaves. Pheasants were common place (but shy). One year I just happened to look out of the window and saw a long line of 24 Red Legged Partridges in single file walking down our drive and disappearing through the hedge at the end of the garden.
Every year a  pair of woodpecker used to nest in a tree at the back of the veg. plot.

In the field to the west of the farm the owner had excavated a pond and this was used by the usual mix of water fowl. Various duck species and a goose or two. One year one of the latter spent about a month visiting our back garden for some reason or other. I think it liked the look of itself in the reflection from the glass of the greenhouse.

Eventually we realised that although we could help the wildlife whilst we lived there, the wild life were unlikely to help us when we got to the point of helpless senility, living miles from the nearest samaritan.  So we moved.

We swapped animal friends for human friends.
Back to top Go down
Irene
Irene

PostSubject: Re: Birds from my garden.   Birds from my garden. EmptyWed Apr 26, 2017 9:49 am

Sounds like a wonderful taste of 'the good life'.   yes

...Although sensible decision to eventually return to human civilisation.  ;)

Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: Birds from my garden.   Birds from my garden. EmptyWed Apr 26, 2017 9:57 am

I love wild birds and have three seed feeders and a suet ball feeder.  We get a lot of pleasure out of seeing them and helping them to ffnd easily accessed food.  We also have two bird boxes that I made myself.  This is why I will not tolerate cats in the garden and have plastic spikes on the fences.

Gustav Mahler is the finest composer who ever lived.

Birds from my garden. 2nkrm36
Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Birds from my garden.   Birds from my garden. EmptyWed Apr 26, 2017 11:41 am

Irene wrote:
Sounds like a wonderful taste of 'the good life'.   yes

...Although sensible decision to eventually return to human civilisation.  ;)

We had already got used to "the good life" before we came over here from the the West Riding.
A good few years before I retired  we bought a big old farmhouse virtually on the line which separates Yorkshire and Lancashire. It was attached to a barn (or was it that the barn was attached to the house??) It was in need of some very serious TLC and it had already had a part of it "partitioned off" to house "the farmers son and his wife". This bit was tenanted by a little old man and his wife.

Our reason for buying it was to create somewhere where we could house my mother and father in their own space whilst having them safe and sound. They were doing what people do....they were growing older.

The story of how we achieved our goal would take up several pages so I will just say that about three years later we had achieved what I had wanted to achieve and more.

Several years passed and one day it was announced that the company had got a new Managing Director. Being an American Company he was an American., with American ideas and foibles. The Americans had recently decreed that there should be no R &D Mangers over 50 years of age. It just so happened that virtually all our company R & D Managers were over 50, and so we were all given a lump sums, commensurate with the pension that  we would have received at full retirement age, and shown the door.   Wonderful!

By this time mother had died, but father was still sound in body and mind. The old couple had gone to the big flat in the sky and so we reconnected "the cottage" by the simple expedient of un-boarding  the boarded-up doorways upstairs and down.

Father had always been a healthy chap but eventually, after several more years, one morning he suddenly collapsed and that was the end of the line for him.

He was laid to rest and we carried on as before .....until one day, many months, later we suddenly realised that here we were, just two of use,  rattling about in a thirteen roomed house paying the council a vast sum of money for very little, and heating at least six rooms that were very rarely entered.

We decided it was time to find a nice little bungalow in a drier part of the county.
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Birds from my garden.   Birds from my garden. EmptyWed Apr 26, 2017 3:10 pm

Sounds absolutely idyllic catgate. 

Glad you have a much more manageable place now though  :;smile:
Back to top Go down
Irene
Irene

PostSubject: Re: Birds from my garden.   Birds from my garden. EmptyThu Apr 27, 2017 9:16 am

catgate wrote:
We decided it was time to find a nice little bungalow in a drier part of the county.

Yes, wise choice, but you still have all those wonderful memories.  Birds from my garden. Wink111

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Birds from my garden.   Birds from my garden. Empty

Back to top Go down

Birds from my garden.
Page 1 of 1