Mart
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Program - Programme Empty
PostSubject: Program - Programme   Program - Programme EmptyFri Mar 31, 2017 11:07 am

'Program', is an Americanism of the word 'programme'. I suppose we see it so much because our computer operating system and other software is American in origin. I know some of us would always use 'programme' when referring to computer software but I'd use 'program' for that. I think it draws a distinction between that and 'programme', which describes what's on television, radio, theatre or a lists events at a performance. How do you feel about that?

It's the same with disk and disc. I'd use 'disk' if it's related to the computer, yet 'disc' if describing any other round flat object. 

The trouble is that I write about computer matters a little, so use 'program' quite a bit.  I don't often need to write 'programme' but have made the mistake of writing 'program' where the word was needed ...so breaking my own rule. I'll have to watch that one. :)
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Program - Programme   Program - Programme EmptyFri Mar 31, 2017 11:20 am

Yes I use 'program' when referring to computer software always, but rarely would use 'disk' unless it's a copy and paste, I would always type 'disc' and never 'disk'
I don't really like the way that 'Americanisms' are creeping into, and changing, our 'English' vocabulary
Back to top Go down
Irene
Irene

PostSubject: Re: Program - Programme   Program - Programme EmptyFri Mar 31, 2017 12:33 pm

Yes, I agree with you both.  yes

Other problems arise with spell checkers, particularly when they replace what think you have written!  angry

-----------------------------------------
..Program - Programme Irene_10
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Program - Programme   Program - Programme EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 12:41 am

Auto correct to me is a problem or problemo. I write to a few friends and have to constantly check the email.

Have we become lazy since technology. 

We were all taught to read and write.
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Program - Programme   Program - Programme EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 7:59 am

But knot always tort to spell

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Program - Programme   Program - Programme EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 8:18 am

AlanHo wrote:
But knot always tort to spell
Some of the non brightest people I have met thus far, run in academia circles.

Cannot spell to save their life  :;smile:

An American on TV and few days ago was trying to pronounce Michael Portillo's  name.

Very funny

Last edited by Goldie on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pumicestone
Pumicestone

PostSubject: Re: Program - Programme   Program - Programme EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 3:17 pm

"none brightest" ???
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Program - Programme   Program - Programme EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 6:39 pm

Pumicestone wrote:
"none brightest" ???
My excuse auto correct. Non  :;smile:
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: Program - Programme   Program - Programme EmptyFri Apr 07, 2017 12:13 am

I know we iz upside doon but one of our pollies used the term 'externalities' where the hell did that come from = not my school days
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Program - Programme   Program - Programme Empty

Back to top Go down

Program - Programme
Page 1 of 1