10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

Battery lawn mowers Empty
PostSubject: Battery lawn mowers   Battery lawn mowers EmptySun Mar 26, 2017 9:26 am

I'm thinking of getting a rechargeable battery lawn mower. Good reviews can be read about the various makes but there's always someone who says, "Don't buy this one, it's a load of rubbish". Does anyone use one of these mowers and find it good or bad?
Back to top Go down
-pops-
-pops-

PostSubject: Re: Battery lawn mowers   Battery lawn mowers EmptySun Mar 26, 2017 9:42 am

I have one but I don't use it myself for many reasons (which may be apparent if you have read my other posts).

They tend to give out half way through doing the lawn. Unless you have a spare battery, the remaining grass gets left uncut. Batteries are not high speed recharging - 12 hours to fully recharge mine. After this time your gardener has already done his bit and gone home until the next visit in two weeks.
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Battery lawn mowers   Battery lawn mowers EmptySun Mar 26, 2017 11:07 am

There is always someone with review articles.

As Pops  actually owns one. Best go with experience.

Mum used a gardener to mow the lawns a local guy who had just retired. That could be another route to go down.

As they were nearly all pensioners he said I do not give a rate you pay me what you want.  I jdt enjoy the company  sun

Edited used wrong member name in my first post apologies x

Last edited by Goldie on Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
-pops-
-pops-

PostSubject: Re: Battery lawn mowers   Battery lawn mowers EmptySun Mar 26, 2017 11:27 am

Does catgate own one?
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Battery lawn mowers   Battery lawn mowers EmptySun Mar 26, 2017 1:56 pm

Apologies Pops I meant you. I will edit straight away. Where did that come from  ❤
Back to top Go down
-pops-
-pops-

PostSubject: Re: Battery lawn mowers   Battery lawn mowers EmptySun Mar 26, 2017 2:09 pm

whistle
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Battery lawn mowers   Battery lawn mowers EmptySun Mar 26, 2017 4:17 pm

This is my cordless mower and it is brilliant.
https://www.bosch-garden.com/gb/en/garden-tools/garden-tools/rotak-32-li-high-power-3165140658782-199945.jsp

It replaced a Honda self propelled mower that was too heavy for me to manoeuvre 180 degrees at the end of each run.

It is light and powerful and does about 150 square metres on a charge. I have a spare battery which is useful.

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Ciderman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Ciderman

PostSubject: Re: Battery lawn mowers   Battery lawn mowers EmptySun Mar 26, 2017 9:36 pm

I've got an "Enviromower", had it ever since we moved from our 6 acre place and downsized- that was just coming up 10 years ago. After 7 years I had to buy a new battery but at about $90 that was cheaper than the petrol I would have used over that time. It takes me about 40 minutes to mow back and front lawn and only on one or two occasions have I run out of 'oomph' and that was because I left mowing too long and I needed a hay harvestor. Yes it is not a fast recharge, but that will come as batteries become more sophisticated. I recommend it as long as you don't have a lawn like I used to have at our previous property- I had a ride on there! :;smile:

Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocities.ws/ciderman_nz/
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Battery lawn mowers   Battery lawn mowers EmptySun Mar 26, 2017 11:20 pm

I just mow the pecan. Alan you see it in all the gardens,  black volcanic rock ground down to gravel size pieces . Suppresses weeds and also keeps moisture in. We have mostly cactus plants in gardens  sun
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Battery lawn mowers   Battery lawn mowers EmptyMon Mar 27, 2017 9:43 am

Many thanks for the replies everyone. The area of lawn/moss I have to mow takes about 20 minutes to do -pops-, so I hope a battery mower will be able to keep the power up for that long?

I looked at the 'Rotak' on Amazon and see it can be bought for under the £300 mark. It's helpful to know that you have a good opinion of it Alan. Hello Ciderman - I also had a look around the Internet for the 'Enviromower' but it doesn't look as if it's one that can be bought in the UK. I'll have another search to make sure of that.

I might go for the Rotak. One thing I have to do before buying any make is convince Mrs Mart that I really can't live without one and how much better a cordless mower would be than one that trails a mains lead everywhere. :)

I've been to Lanzarote Goldie and seen what the gardens are like. No lawnmowers needed there eh? :)
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Battery lawn mowers   Battery lawn mowers EmptyMon Mar 27, 2017 12:17 pm

Mark

I can mow the lawn quicker with a battery mower rather than a corded one. I was always spending time pulling the cord out of the way.

It takes me 20 minutes to cut my lawn with the battery mower.

One thing I should mention is that my mower is now 5 years old and the batteries are still going strong - but it is a previous model to the one now being sold.
Mine has a roller between the rear wheels to "stripe" the lawn - there is no mention of a roller in the spec for the new model. Something you need to check up on if you want to earn your stripes.

Here is a picture covering half the length of the lawn

Battery lawn mowers Rear_g11

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Battery lawn mowers   Battery lawn mowers EmptyMon Mar 27, 2017 5:17 pm

That looks a very fine lawn Alan. A good job done my the mower and the operator. My lawn doesn't have that lovely green grass but what there is of it, plus the moss, looks OK when it's cut.

I'm still in a dilemma as to whether to press the 'Buy Now' button for a mower but I think I'm getting close. :)

Here's my garden. The photo was taken a couple of years ago but a bit further into the year by the look of it:

Battery lawn mowers Garden-2_zps184fa2ed
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Battery lawn mowers   Battery lawn mowers EmptyMon Mar 27, 2017 10:46 pm

Mart

What a lovely garden - it reminds me of our previous house which we downsized from 3 years ago when we sold up and moved into a small retirement estate where you have to be more than 58 years old to buy property. Kids and pets are not allowed and we never see a cat in the garden. Andsome would love it here. I was no longer able to do much DIY or look after our large garden and the big house was proving too much for my wife to manage.

I'm so glad we moved when we did - I don't think we could face the upheaval now that we are that bit older and less fit.

We now have a very nice and spacious 2 bed house in a road of just 15 properties that is self managed. We are all shareholders of the managing company of which I am the director. Although all the properties are freehold, we all pay a monthly service charge to meet the communal costs which includes external maintenance of all properties, garages and fences, gardening, buildings and contents insurance, maintenance of the large landscaped communal areas, the private road etc plus window cleaning and general administration. I don't let the gardeners near my lawn - other than when we are on holiday - it's the one thing I enjoy doing myself.

We are 200 yards from a row of shops which includes a post office/newsagents, restaurants, butchers, bakers, greengrocers, hairdressers, barbers, carpet shop and a Spar mini market. There is a charity shop for a local hospice which my wife works at 1 day a week. We are off a main road with buses to Solihull and Birmingham. We are 2 miles from Solihull hospital and 1 mile from our doctors. We even have an undertakers 200 yards away.

What more does an 80 year old want?

Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Battery lawn mowers   Battery lawn mowers EmptyMon Mar 27, 2017 11:08 pm

I don't think I'll cut the grass after all. I'll sell up and come and live where you do. :)
Back to top Go down
Mart
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Mart

PostSubject: Re: Battery lawn mowers   Battery lawn mowers EmptyTue Mar 28, 2017 8:33 pm

Well, I bought a cordless mower. I didn't go for for the Rotak in the end. I bought a Gtech Falcon. It was a close run thing but I went for the Gtech mainly because it had a comparable width of cut (43cm) to the corded mower I have (40cm). I hope I've done the right thing because at £349, it's the most expensive mower I've ever bought.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battery lawn mowers   Battery lawn mowers Empty

Back to top Go down

Battery lawn mowers
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next