Goldie
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Smart Phones - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smart Phones   Smart Phones - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 15, 2017 5:10 pm

malcolm wrote:
AlanHo wrote:

The clincher was me downloading an app that allows me to watch UK TV via wifi when we are abroad.
Try though I may, I have never discovered an app that would allow UK programmes to be screened whilst abroad.

I have used FilmOn Live TV with some success - but it does need a robust WiFi connection which in some hotels varies in strength during the day. I s'pose it's the contention ratio kicking in with too many guests on line at the same time.
Back to top Go down
The Beast
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
The Beast

PostSubject: Re: Smart Phones   Smart Phones - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 15, 2017 5:19 pm

The satellite footprint for the 'Astra' changed here a couple of years ago. Which meant that where I live in Spain we lost all BBC, ITV and sky reception through a dish. For a couple of years I paid 10£ a year for a server to watch the whole sky package mainly for sport. Now if I watch any TV, which in the main is absolute dross, I watch through 'Filmon' and receive excellent streaming and for any thing else look for the ' Mobdro ' free app for films and sports. 

If I want to watch any drama series, I wait until they are finished and download them.
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: Smart Phones   Smart Phones - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 20, 2017 8:18 am

I cannot recommend Windows phones, I am not happy with mine at all.  I cant wait to trade it in when my contract expires.

-----------------------------------------
Gustav Mahler is the finest composer who ever lived.

Smart Phones - Page 2 2nkrm36
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Smart Phones   Smart Phones - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 20, 2017 2:22 pm

I have a Micosoft Lumia 640 LTE which I bought because the Navtec maps were stored on the phone and it could be used as a satnav without a data or WiFi connection.

It is the best phone for that feature but the screen response was iffy - it had a mind of its own. Not only that - I found it too big and the lump it caused in my trouser pocket resulted in unwarranted smiling glances.

So, after 12 months, I chucked it into a drawer and bought a Samsung Galaxy A3 2016 model which is smaller and out-performs the Lumia in almost every respect. The Google maps can be stored on the Samsung FOC but have to be downloaded every month which I do overnight when the phone is recharging because my selection of UK and Europe maps takes a couple of hours.

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Pumicestone
Pumicestone

PostSubject: Re: Smart Phones   Smart Phones - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 20, 2017 4:33 pm

I am in awe of the lot of you !
To me, the only consistently workable telephone is attached by a cord to a little socket thingy in the wall.

For whatever reason, mobile phones (or 'cell' phones?) rarely seem to work !
Voices break up - or drop-out - whatever. 
Nobody I call on a mobile (from my reliable landline) ever answers.
They are always apparently 'out of range' or
their phone is switched off or 
the thing is not charged or 
they are out of credit or 
they simply don't have the bloody thing with them (what's the point of having one if you cannot be contacted on it ?)  

As for "texting", hell, it is rarely even done in English.

But then again, maybe I'm just allergic to the 21st Century.
I don't own a credit card either.
And I only ever use the computer for the occasional Email - and of course some essential Pom-bashing. yes
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Smart Phones   Smart Phones - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 20, 2017 4:42 pm

Wanna change your username to Pummysaurus ? drum
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: Smart Phones   Smart Phones - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 20, 2017 4:45 pm

AlanHo wrote:
I have a Micosoft Lumia 640 LTE which I bought because the Navtec maps were stored on the phone and it could be used as a satnav without a data or WiFi connection.

It is the best phone for that feature but the screen response was iffy - it had a mind of its own. Not only that - I found it too big and the lump it caused in my trouser pocket resulted in unwarranted smiling glances.

So, after 12 months, I chucked it into a drawer and bought a Samsung Galaxy A3 2016 model which is smaller and out-performs the Lumia in almost every respect. The Google maps can be stored on the Samsung FOC but have to be downloaded every month which I do overnight when the phone is recharging because my selection of UK and Europe maps takes a couple of hours.

Mine is a Lumia too with Windows 10,I can't wait to trade it in next August

Gustav Mahler is the finest composer who ever lived.

Smart Phones - Page 2 2nkrm36
Back to top Go down
Pumicestone
Pumicestone

PostSubject: Re: Smart Phones   Smart Phones - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 20, 2017 5:21 pm

malcolm wrote:
Well of course "Pummy saw us".

How else could I be here ?
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Smart Phones   Smart Phones - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 20, 2017 8:54 pm

I bought my wife a smartphone for Christmas - the same Samsung Galaxy A3 as mine

She has been welded to her vanilla clam shell Samsung for 5 years and was reluctant to climb into the 21st century.

However - she is a changed woman. She can keep in touch with her kids and grand children on WhatsApp, Facebook, etc and is more proficient than me. It has got to be the most useful present I have bought her and puts into the shade the Vacuum cleaner, Steam generator iron and lightweight ironing board I bought her previously.

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Ciderman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Ciderman

PostSubject: Re: Smart Phones   Smart Phones - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 20, 2017 9:20 pm

My first mobile phone was the size of a brick, must have been about 1989. It was really handy if you parked on a really steep hill, you could stick it under a tyre. I was working in the winery in my overalls and it would only just fit in a pocket - sticking out. I was up a lader and it fell out , bounced on the concrete floor and fell down a drain full of water and iodophor steriliser . I managed to pull it out and of course it wouldn't go! So I immersed it in ethyl alcohol then took it home and put it in the airing cupboard. Next day it was as good as new- and it worked.

Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocities.ws/ciderman_nz/
Purwell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Purwell

PostSubject: Re: Smart Phones   Smart Phones - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 28, 2017 1:13 pm

My experience seems to be opposite to most on here as I cannot get on with the Android operating system at all, much prefer Windows.
I have a rather old Lumia 520 now, it is about 4 years old which is old for a modern phone and I am quite happy with it.
Back to top Go down
Goldie
Goldie

PostSubject: Re: Smart Phones   Smart Phones - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 28, 2017 1:19 pm

Pumicestone wrote:
malcolm wrote:
Well of course "Pummy saw us".

How else could I be here ?
Do you think he saurus more like  drum
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: Smart Phones   Smart Phones - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 28, 2017 10:33 pm

I'm gonna report you guys for wandering off topic........... drum

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Smart Phones   Smart Phones - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Smart Phones
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next