3 posters
AuthorMessage
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

Diesel cars Empty
PostSubject: Diesel cars   Diesel cars EmptySat Mar 11, 2017 11:33 am

The Chancellor Philip Hammond has hinted that diesel cars may face a new tax to penalise diesel car owners, what that will be is unclear, maybe a diesel scrappage scheme, or higher diesel fuel tax, it will be announced in the autumn budget, my Jag is a diesel .... oh dear !
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

Diesel cars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel cars   Diesel cars EmptySat Mar 11, 2017 4:25 pm

I could see how things were heading 3 years ago and after a series of 5 diesel cars changed to petrol.

I am staying with petrol, but a Hybrid version that gives you the pep and economy of a diesel with zero road tax.

The first attack on diesels will be the big cities which have pollution problems will follow the London model and introduce congestion zones with a heavy daily cost. Birmingham have been actively planning for it for a couple of years

The second concern is that the trade in value for diesels will plummet when the scrappage scheme is introduced.

Fuel duty on diesel is certain to be increased to make it much less attractive than petrol.

They will target the owners of the older diesel cars which have no pollution controls in order to drive them off the roads.

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

Diesel cars Empty
PostSubject: The Future of Duesel Cars Looks Bleak   Diesel cars EmptyMon Mar 13, 2017 3:05 pm

Latest Honest John Newsletter

Chancellor of the Exchequer Philip Hammond has said that the Government is exploring a new ‘tax treatment’ for diesel cars.

The statement is the strongest indication yet that the Government will introduce a new diesel tax, with changes likely to be announced at the Autumn Budget on 5 December 2017. 

Fuel duty on petrol and diesel has been frozen for seven years - at 57.9p-per-litre – but the Government’s stance on a new ‘tax treatment’ has sparked fears that diesels will face a new tax before the end of the year.

“The Chancellor has fired a warning shot to diesel drivers,” said RAC chief engineer David Bizley. “This uncertainty is bound to be of concern to private and business motorists alike, who will be wanting urgent clarity on just what the Government plan to do.”

It’s unclear what the ‘tax treatment’ would represent, but a new diesel scrappage scheme and/or an increase in diesel fuel duty are two ideas that have been speculated.

Diesel car buyers are already facing higher VED, with the new road tax system set to add hundreds of pounds to the running costs of Britain’s most-popular diesels. However, with diesel emissions linked to 9500 annual deaths in London each year, the Government is facing increasing calls to do more to improve air quality in Britain's cities and encourage drivers to buy cleaner vehicles.

At this stage, it’s unclear what the ‘tax treatment’ would represent, but a new diesel scrappage scheme and/or an increase in diesel fuel duty are two ideas that have been speculated in recent weeks.

The UK’s automotive industry body, the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT), has warned against the anti-diesel agenda because of the negative implications that it could have on reducing CO2 emissions, but healthcare professionals argue that the move away from diesel is the only answer.

Mike Hawes, SMMT Chief Executive, said: “The automotive industry has some of the most challenging CO2 reduction targets...for this positive trend to continue, modern low emission diesels and AFVs such as plug-ins, hydrogen and hybrids must be encouraged with long term incentives.”

Dr Penny Woods of the British Lung Foundation said: “It’s a tragedy that on the 60th anniversary of the Clean Air Act, we continue see pollution limits broken in many parts of the capital, urgent action is needed to clean up London’s air.

“Air pollution contributes to 9500 early deaths in London every year. It worsens existing lung conditions, increases the risk of getting lung cancer and impairs child lung development.”

FOOTNOTE
Did you notice that yet again the focus is on London. They don't give a shit about us people in the rest of the Country.

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
Pumicestone
Pumicestone

Diesel cars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel cars   Diesel cars EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 9:10 pm

Are diesel cars alleged to be more polluting than petrol cars ?

I have been considering buying a Jaguar XF Diesel.   Not a good idea ?
No additional tax mooted in Aus - that I am aware of.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Diesel cars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel cars   Diesel cars Empty

Back to top Go down

Diesel cars
Page 1 of 1