+2
-pops-
Irene
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Irene

DRINKS Quiz...   [Part one] - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DRINKS Quiz... [Part one]   DRINKS Quiz...   [Part one] - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:34 pm

DRINKS Quiz...   [Part one] - Page 2 Anyone10
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: DRINKS Quiz... [Part one]   DRINKS Quiz...   [Part one] - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 2:35 pm

6  I am going for a straw (for drinking) assuming the word suckers is the clue.

Question 10 will be easy - if someone posts False and you give it one of your infamous red crosses - I will post True.

It's a waiting game. drum

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle

Last edited by AlanHo on Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
-pops-
-pops-

PostSubject: Re: DRINKS Quiz... [Part one]   DRINKS Quiz...   [Part one] - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 2:50 pm

18. Sherry
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: DRINKS Quiz... [Part one]   DRINKS Quiz...   [Part one] - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 3:00 pm

18. Lager or beer in some places.

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
-pops-
-pops-

PostSubject: Re: DRINKS Quiz... [Part one]   DRINKS Quiz...   [Part one] - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 3:54 pm

19. Potatoes
Back to top Go down
Irene
Irene

PostSubject: Re: DRINKS Quiz... [Part one]   DRINKS Quiz...   [Part one] - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 4:20 pm

AlanHo wrote:
6  I am going for a straw  yes  DRINKS Quiz...   [Part one] - Page 2 Tick_green_big   (for drinking) assuming the word suckers is the clue. 

-pops- wrote:
18. Sherry  yes  DRINKS Quiz...   [Part one] - Page 2 Tick_green_big

AlanHo wrote:
18. Lager or beer in some places. DRINKS Quiz...   [Part one] - Page 2 X-image-3    ... Not on this occasion  whistle

-pops- wrote:
19. Potatoes   yes   DRINKS Quiz...   [Part one] - Page 2 Tick_green_big

..DRINKS Quiz...   [Part one] - Page 2 Irene_10
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: DRINKS Quiz... [Part one]   DRINKS Quiz...   [Part one] - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 4:30 pm

11. Vanilla

Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: DRINKS Quiz... [Part one]   DRINKS Quiz...   [Part one] - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 5:01 pm

Pops : I too would have guessed potatoes as the base for Poteen but my Irish friend down the road says that in his day - when proper poiton was distilled - they used a malt barley mash.

So I looked on Wikipedia
The old style of poitín distilling was from a malted barley base for the mash, the same as single malt whiskey or pure pot still whiskey distilled in Ireland. The word poitín stems from the Irish Gaelic word "pota" for pot, this refers to the small copper pot still used by poitín distillers.

In recent times, some distillers deviated from using malted barley as a base of the mash bill due to the cost and availability instead switching to using treacle, corn and potatoes. It is believed this switch led to the deteriorating quality and character of poitín in the late 20th century.

Hence it is a question with two correct answers.

Back to top Go down
-pops-
-pops-

PostSubject: Re: DRINKS Quiz... [Part one]   DRINKS Quiz...   [Part one] - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 03, 2017 8:14 am

9. Calvados
Back to top Go down
Irene
Irene

PostSubject: Re: DRINKS Quiz... [Part one]   DRINKS Quiz...   [Part one] - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 03, 2017 8:49 am

AlanHo wrote:
11. Vanilla    DRINKS Quiz...   [Part one] - Page 2 Tick_green_big

-pops- wrote:
9. Calvados    DRINKS Quiz...   [Part one] - Page 2 Tick_green_big

Back to top Go down
Irene
Irene

PostSubject: *UPDATE...    DRINKS Quiz...   [Part one] - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 03, 2017 8:54 am

*UPDATE...  

1. What does the abbreviation A.B.V. Stand for in alcoholic drinks?  Alcohol by Volume  [-pops-]

2. Which lager company traditionally sponsors the pre Wimbledon tennis tournament?   Stella Artois  [AlanHo]

3. What spirit is used in fortifying red wine to create port?   Brandy   [AlanHo]

4. What soft drink is advertised with the slogan, What's the worst that could happen?  Dr Pepper  [Dizzy]

5. If I'm mixing you a drink using ginger ale, grenadine and a cherry, what am I making?  A Shirley Temple  [AlanHo]

6. What did Martin Stone invent in 1888 that millions of suckers use every day?  The Drinking Straw [AlanHo]

7. What is the smell given off by wine called?   Bouquet  [Malcolm]

8. Which drink was created when Indian army officers added quinine to soda water to help fight malaria?   Tonic Water  [-pops-] 

9. What is the name of the apple based liqueur from Normandy?   Calvados  [-pops-]

10. True or false - Adolf Hitler would only drink beer produced in Germany?   False  [-pops-]

11. Which flavouring is added to brandy and egg yolks to make advocaat?  Vanilla  [AlanHo]

12. The phrase "mind your p's and q's" originally meant to watch how much you had to drink, but what did the letters "p" and "q" stand for?   Pints and Quarts  [-pops-]

13. Which country consumes more Coca Cola per head than anywhere else in the world? 
Iceland / Mexico  [-pops- / Dizzy]

14. Which drink, one of Shakespeare’s favourite tipples, is distilled from honey?  Mead  [-pops-]

15. Which alcoholic drink is named after a Welsh Pirate?   Captain Morgan's Rum  [-pops-]

16. What is the flavour of the Greek drink 'ouzo'?   Aniseed  [-pops-]

17. In the drink Gin and 'It' - what's 'It'?   Italian Vermouth  [Dizzy]

18. Which drink is served in a Schooner?  Sherry  [-pops-]

19. Poteen is a distilled spirit made in the West of Ireland. What is it made from?  Potatoes  [-pops-]

20. What is the most common pub name in Great Britain?   The Red Lion  [-pops-]

Last edited by Irene on Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
-pops-
-pops-

PostSubject: Re: DRINKS Quiz... [Part one]   DRINKS Quiz...   [Part one] - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 03, 2017 9:10 am

14. Mead (or if it was spiced, Metheglin)
Back to top Go down
Irene
Irene

PostSubject: Re: DRINKS Quiz... [Part one]   DRINKS Quiz...   [Part one] - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 03, 2017 9:14 am

-pops- wrote:
14. Mead  DRINKS Quiz...   [Part one] - Page 2 Tick_green_big    (or if it was spiced, Metheglin)

Back to top Go down
-pops-
-pops-

PostSubject: Re: DRINKS Quiz... [Part one]   DRINKS Quiz...   [Part one] - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 03, 2017 9:17 am

16. Anise (aniseed)
Back to top Go down
Dizzy
Dizzy

PostSubject: Re: DRINKS Quiz... [Part one]   DRINKS Quiz...   [Part one] - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 03, 2017 10:53 am

17.  Vermouth
Back to top Go down
-pops-
-pops-

PostSubject: Re: DRINKS Quiz... [Part one]   DRINKS Quiz...   [Part one] - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 03, 2017 12:14 pm

15 Captain Morgan Rum
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DRINKS Quiz... [Part one]   DRINKS Quiz...   [Part one] - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

DRINKS Quiz... [Part one]
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next