AlanHo
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

AWOL Until Saturday - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AWOL Until Saturday   AWOL Until Saturday - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 09, 2017 2:49 pm

Bourbon comes from Trumpland
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: AWOL Until Saturday   AWOL Until Saturday - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 09, 2017 3:52 pm

AWOL Until Saturday - Page 3 20170216
AWOL Until Saturday - Page 3 20170218
AWOL Until Saturday - Page 3 20170214
AWOL Until Saturday - Page 3 20170217
AWOL Until Saturday - Page 3 20170215

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AWOL Until Saturday   AWOL Until Saturday - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 09, 2017 6:10 pm

Who is the Russian in the first photo Alan?
Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: AWOL Until Saturday   AWOL Until Saturday - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 09, 2017 7:31 pm

malcolm wrote:
Quote :
I always carry a hip flask of Irish Cream

I can't stand the stuff !pale

It is absobloodylutelydeicious.  :D:D

Gustav Mahler is the finest composer who ever lived.

AWOL Until Saturday - Page 3 2nkrm36
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: AWOL Until Saturday   AWOL Until Saturday - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 09, 2017 10:46 pm

Good old andsome - a man of taste.

This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AWOL Until Saturday   AWOL Until Saturday - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 10, 2017 11:15 am

Just bought my Daughter-in-Law a bottle yesterday. She loves it. It's her Birthday today.
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: AWOL Until Saturday   AWOL Until Saturday - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 10, 2017 7:03 pm

Just got home after a 3 hour drive from N Wales. Management wanted to do the scenic route so we came via the Horseshoe pass and Llangollen. It was snowing after we reached 1000 feet altitude but wasn't sticking, but a light touch on the pedals was considered prudent.

Overall we had a nice 4 days away and the hotel was lovely - but we are unlikely to go again. The evening entertainment - except for one evening - was mediocre. However, the singer in the bar area - a guy named Vaughan Kennedy - was superb. Shut your eyes and you were listening to Matt Monroe. Libby bought his set of 4 CD's (containing 64 tracks) to enjoy his voice on our Sonos audio system.

The Bodelwyddan Castle Hotel is set in lovely grounds with a woodland walk that is excellent - but better on a day when it is not freezing. I don't know how many rooms it has - but for us it proved to be too big - with too many guests jostling at the buffet each meal. We stood out from the crowd by not wielding a walking stick, zimmer frame or scooter.

It cannot be denied however that it is terrific value for money. Those who appreciate a really spacious and comfortable room, lots of entertainment throughout the day and food that covers the spectrum between superb and mediocre will have a great time there.

Warners is not for me in future - but I can well understand that those who can take full advantage of all it offers would go there time after time. As Libby will tell you - I'm hard to please.

Back to top Go down
andsome
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
andsome

PostSubject: Re: AWOL Until Saturday   AWOL Until Saturday - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 11, 2017 8:06 am

The only problem for us now with Warner's is the entertainment.  They used to feature decent stars like Russell Watson, Elaine Page etc.  Now there are far too many acts pretending to be someone else instead of performing their own show.

Gustav Mahler is the finest composer who ever lived.

AWOL Until Saturday - Page 3 2nkrm36
Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: AWOL Until Saturday   AWOL Until Saturday - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 11, 2017 8:49 am

We never go for what passes as 'entertainment' instead we would rather watch TV in bed or read.
We like convenience of an inexpensive weekend, an hour and a quarter's drive away, in nice surroundings with usually good food (that I don't have to cook)
Easy days...rambling in the gardens and just doing nothing in particular.
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: AWOL Until Saturday   AWOL Until Saturday - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 11, 2017 9:10 am

I can empathise with that Malcolm and well understand why you would go there.

However - we have now been to Warners 5 times over the past 3 years and it has run its course. I only had one really good meal in the 3 nights we were there and I would have rather spent more on a 4 or 5 star hotel that ran a good restaurant with fine dining and where the guests dressed properly for dinner rather than one that caters for a hungry horde in a posh canteen.

My wife doesn't agree - she still reckons I am too fussy.

Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: AWOL Until Saturday   AWOL Until Saturday - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 11, 2017 9:37 am

I agree with you Alan about the 'scruffy guests' and the 'canteen'.....I don't really consider this as a holiday, it is just a convenient place for an occasional change of scene for us.

This is our Holiday hotel ... you would love it !

Hotel President
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: AWOL Until Saturday   AWOL Until Saturday - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 11, 2017 10:22 am

We are going to Croatia from 16th to 25th May staying at the Hotel Asterea in Mlini. It was a cheap and cheerful special offer from our local Travel Agents.

Monarch Flights from Birmingham, VW Golf auto car hire and half board accommodation in a Superior sea view room is costing £1,368 in total.

There is a snag - the flight out is at 06:00 so we have to be at the airport for 04:00. It's a good job we are only 8 minutes by taxi from the airport.

There is also a bonus - the flight back is at 19:25 so we get almost an extra day to enjoy.

http://hotel-astarea.mlini.hotels-hr.com/en/#rooms

Back to top Go down
malcolm
Administrator
Administrator
malcolm

PostSubject: Re: AWOL Until Saturday   AWOL Until Saturday - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 11, 2017 10:56 am

Thats a good deal Alan.
We are not going there this year, but if we were ...7 days at The President would cost over £2000 !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: AWOL Until Saturday   AWOL Until Saturday - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 11, 2017 11:58 am

Need anyone to carry your cases Alan?
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: AWOL Until Saturday   AWOL Until Saturday - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 11, 2017 2:13 pm

No - Libby is as strong as an Ox and they have wheels on anyway.

neither do I require any help in getting down the wine and spirits.

But it is very kind of you to offer. 2017 will be our last splurge on regular holidays - the travel insurance is already crippling but I am 80 next month and Libby will soon be 75 and the cost of insurance with our menu of ailments will kill it off.

It will be more of the UK in future - which will cost less in petrol after next month when my new hybrid KIA Niro arrives. I have followed the ship it is on from Korea, to China then across the pacific and through the Panama Canal to a port in Venezuela which it departed bound for Brunswick USA where it will arrive on 15th Feb. It will drop off more cars there and collect others before making for Bristol UK where it is scheduled to arrive on 25/26 February.

The Marine tracking website is fascinating - it's amazing what it tracks and the info on each ship.

My ship the TORTUGAS is a dedicated car carrier and can carry 6,500 cars. It left Korea on 31st December loaded with approx. 6,300 KIA cars bound for China, South and North America the UK and then Germany where it will load up with VW, BMW and Mercedes cars for the USA and far east on the return trip to Korea. 
Gross Tonnage: 61321
Deadweight: 14512 tons
Length Overall x Breadth Extreme: 199.99m × 32.29m
Year Built: 2006

Read more at http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:191560/mmsi:249757000/imo:9319765/vessel:TORTUGAS#GsGfd2ig7jdo68ja.99

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AWOL Until Saturday   AWOL Until Saturday - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

AWOL Until Saturday
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next