davo
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

the disappearing pubs of England - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the disappearing pubs of England   the disappearing pubs of England - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 11, 2017 8:23 pm

"....operate a black ball policy."

I would never have associated you with anything at all to do with racism.
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: the disappearing pubs of England   the disappearing pubs of England - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 11, 2017 9:32 pm

AlanHo wrote:
I am a member of a private club - it used to be a "working mans" but that would now be a misnomer. It is open every day, has a nice bar with drinks at low prices and a good cook to provide nice quality light lunches every day and evening dinners 3 nights a week. It has 3 snooker tables, dartboards and card tables in the gents only room.

Membership requires you to be formally proposed by a club member and to be interviewed by our committee who operate a black ball policy. Hence I always feel comfortable there - and you can read into that what you will and you are likely to be 'whrite'.

ah the old 'bib and ticker' brigade 'nod nod wink wink - say no more'! when I lived in HK many eons ago there were private clubs everywhere and very expensive I only ever attended as a guest. Once such establishment was the United returned servicemen club - men only and white only and no women members - we had many mixed marriage friends and one dear Hull lady was overjoyed when she announced to us all that her husband [one of the top Chinese businessmen] had been interviewed alongside his good Hull lady and granted the first non-white membership ever.

the club was situated in the heart of the Kowloon peninsula and sported swimming pool, tennis courts and dining facilities - I think we were invited there once. there was another one up in the interior close to the Chinese border near Fanling - we became known as the privileged poor but could sport a govt flat of 3000 sq feet whilst these very rich friends could only manage to buy something a quarter of the size - such is the crumbs that fall from the tables of the Gods!

ps: you show me your club and I'll show you mine as the sailor said to the vicars daughters father!
Back to top Go down
AlanHo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
AlanHo

PostSubject: Re: the disappearing pubs of England   the disappearing pubs of England - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 11, 2017 9:55 pm

catgate wrote:
"....operate a black ball policy."

You can fool some people some of the time but .................

I definitely don't associate myself with racism - I'm not an associate but a fully paid up member.

-----------------------------------------
This post may contain controversial personal opinion, humour,  ironic comment or sarcasm. If I have accidentally offended you - please contact me and I will unreservedly apologise. If however it was intentional - it will add to my pleasure. whistle
Back to top Go down
davo
davo

PostSubject: Re: the disappearing pubs of England   the disappearing pubs of England - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 11, 2017 10:28 pm

I am of the firm belief that there should always be men only AND women only clubs - we are not an homogenous group or homogenized even - we need our own space - be it the garden shed or the sewing room

men need to smoke the evil weed and women pretend they don't and tell their smutty jokes etc etc

long may divisionism reign! where else can you go to get away from them for a while??

Mal can we have a men only section here please??
Back to top Go down
catgate
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: the disappearing pubs of England   the disappearing pubs of England - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 11, 2017 11:16 pm

AlanHo said:

Well, up to the age of about ten I had a friend who lived "three doors down" called David Race and for a few seasons in the 60's I raced a go cart.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the disappearing pubs of England   the disappearing pubs of England - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

the disappearing pubs of England
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3